Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Rough Day

Koby had a rough day today. He went from not being able to cry in the beginning to crying often. This makes me feel tender and teary because I think of all he's been through and now we are putting him through this surgery. I know this will be for his good but it's hard to see him struggle through it. And it's not that bad but I just hate to make him go through any more after his rough start to life.

I spent a good part of the day with Koby. He gets frustrated with all of the tubes and IV's. He has long toes that have finger-like skills that have often pulled off his oxygen saturation monitor that they keep on his foot, luckily that's taped on. Right before surgery they put an IV in his foot because the one in his arm didn't stay good for long since he doesn't hold still. Of course he did his tricks to compromise the integrity of that IV, so they finally had to move it to his head. I wasn't aware of that so when I saw him this morning had a small silent freak out in my head wondering what the heck happened! I'd never seen an IV in a head before!!! It looked to me like a birthday hat gone way wrong. Then he made it known that he didn't like that either and tried to rip it out while I was changing his diaper before his 2:00pm feed. Some of his beautiful red hair came with it (another silent freak out moment)!!! So now he has a bald spot which makes him all the more his proud papa's mini, you know I love you for that Steve.





(Steve finishing this post so mama can pump). Sharalee called the hospital to check on him tonight knowing how the day had gone and they said he was really fussy and was only happy if he was being held. The nurses are amazing but they can't always be holding Koby. So we put our other kids to bed and we are back up here now. He was just finishing a feeding and probably sensed we were here because he started getting worked up. Who can blame him? He just had a hole cut into his stomach. I would be grumpy too!

We will both be back tomorrow for a face to face with the neurologist.

On a lighter note our boys dressed up in their superhero costumes and said that Koby will be the "Fantastic 4". I asked them what that meant and Kamden said he didn't really know what that meant, but he had heard of "Fantastic 4" once. Haha. Kamden is having a tough time with us being away a lot of the time. He's making it known that he would like a little bit more attention. It's a major juggling act we have going right now. Sharalee and I feel so lucky to be learning to juggle together. It's manageable when you have the best teammate on your side.










3 comments:

Brittany said...

OHhhh, this makes my Mommy heart ache for you sis (and brother bear). Sweet little Koby has had a tricky start to this Earth life, but I am so happy to see that he is a fighter...even down to cranking out all his tubes and monitors. The pick line must have been a scary surprise. Bless you all for your strength and amazingness to and for Koby, each other and all your kids. You are doing this life thing and you are incredible! Our love and prayers are on their way! Xoxo

Mindy said...

Oh Koby! I want to hold that boy! You two are such an amazing team. I imagine with his cute long fingers and toes and fierce determination that he will be towering tall with the fantastic four someday playing piano and beating everyone in sports! We love you so much and are so sorry to see Koby and you go through all of this. I hope he has a better next couple of days!

Kayleen said...

I can't tell you how proud I am of the way you (Steve and Sharalee) handle each of these hurdles. So much faith and courage! It's probably an overload of information each time something new comes along. The Fantastic Four will be just that! I can't wait for those older boys to help Koby join their 'team'. In the meantime, prayers are coming your way. And, I just love the way you tell your story. You each have such a wonderful way of expressing your sentiments and I look forward to your posts. Thank you! Lots of love to the 'Grateful Eight'!!!