The last 24 hours have been a challenge. When we first arrived at the NICU three weeks ago our nurses were helpful in preparing us for the road ahead. I remember hearing that NICU babies often "take three steps back before they make one step forward." At birth, Koby started with enough backward steps that it was as if he was knocked down. After a few days he began taking steps forward. Today he is three weeks old. He's had a run of about two weeks straight of only forward steps.
Last night Sharalee was holding Koby when he started to shake rhythmically. He was crying before that as if something was really agitating him. When the shaking stopped he immediately stopped crying in an instant and fell asleep. Luckily the nurse saw it too, so I immediately asked her if she thought it might be a seizure. She said it did look like one and that was not anything we'd seen him do before or at least since he'd been warmed from his cooling therapy. Throughout the night he continued to be agitated and unsettled. At 11:15pm last night Sharalee called the hospital to check in on him, and they recommended that both of us come in to the hospital today to meet with our doctor.
The way he has been acting the past 24 hours have caused concern. Koby will be transferred out of the NICU temporarily tomorrow morning (Wednesday Jan 20th) to take a look at his brain with an MRI. He will then go back to the NICU and have another EEG done. They will need to again monitor his brain activity for 24 hours, hoping to see what is going on. As parents we are obviously concerned about how he has been acting the past day or two.
He has continued to make a little bit of progress with eating, but he hasn't been able to swallow as good since yesterday. We are trying not to be concerned with that right now. A nurse put it into perspective when she explained that once a day Koby can barely swallow 5mls of milk when he's supposed to have 55mls each feeding for a total of 240mls in a day. That is no where near enough to keep him healthy and growing, and the amount will increase as he grows. After meeting with our Neonatalologist, and the surgeon, we have decided to schedule the G Tube surgery this coming Monday. There has been a lot going into this decision, and at this time we feel it is the right plan for him. Basically a G Tube is a tube that goes right into the stomach from his abdominal area. We will feed him through a syringe that goes directly into his stomach. We don't know how long this will be how he is fed. It could be weeks, months, or years. We will continue to work with him on eating as much as he will tolerate it. Having the G tube will allow him to come home and be around the love and warmth of our family sooner rather than later.



As a family we need to once again ask for your prayers. Not only for Koby, but for the doctors, nurses, and our family. We remain hopeful for more positive news, and more progress for our sweet boy.


16 comments:
I am the sister of Mike Prinster and have been following your journey by seeing his comments to you. Just wanted to say I am another one of those praying for your little man though I have never met you. Also, my oldest had to have an NG tube and was close to getting a G tube in the NICU and I learned there are companies that make it possible to dress your tough little dude in cute clothes that also let you get access to his G tube and wanted to share a link. Hope it helps for when you get that little man home to love on! - Kari Collins
http://www.feedingtubeawareness.org/AdaptiveClothing.html
I stumbled across your story tonight, you don't know me but am hoping I can offer a little bit of hope. My oldest son was in the NICU for 3 months. The NICU was completely foreign to me, my eyes were opened to something I had only heard about and never realized the grand scale of what went on there. When my son was 1 month old they did a g-tube surgery, it was the only way he would be able to grow and gain weight. I was terrified! The unknown of it all seemed so overwhelming to me. Through a little bit of time I was able to wrap my head around it and find peace. The lord had/has a plan for him and I had to trust in him and have faith.
The care at your hospital seems great! The nurses will educate you and teach you how to feed and care for Koby well! Keep trusting in the doctors and continue to have faith. Take the time to celebrate the small victories, even when they seem far and few between. "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass" -Alma 37:6. Koby is lucky to have such loving parents and family. With you all by his side he will overcome so much. My prayers are with you, I hope you find peace and joy in your journey!
Am keeping up with you and your precious baby, and praying daily for you: for strength, patience, balance and peace. You're surrounded by a myriad of wonderful people who lift you up ~ true angels. Blessings to you. Sara Burrell
When all of this becomes a distant memory, the ordeal will not seem so huge. I am certain our Father in Heaven is cognizant of Koby and knows what will be best in the 'big picture' for him and for you as his parents. I will pray for the doctors as well as your family. I know you have the faith needed to get through each hurdle. Just remember there is a huge squad of family and friends behind you, too. Sending lots of love!
Kari, you're such a sweetheart! Thanks for praying for him too. I have the best sister-in-law. I know my cousins appreciate your thoughts and prayers! I sure love you!
Kari, you're such a sweetheart! Thanks for praying for him too. I have the best sister-in-law. I know my cousins appreciate your thoughts and prayers! I sure love you!
Koby's and your family's name are on the the prayer roles in 3 temples. I just put them on. Now you'll have over thousands praying for you along with everyone else! We sure love you guys!
Koby's and your family's name are on the the prayer roles in 3 temples. I just put them on. Now you'll have over thousands praying for you along with everyone else! We sure love you guys!
We continue to pray for your Koby as well as his awesome family. You may not acknowledge or recognize it, but you are a shining example of faith and love. I am so impressed and humbled with every update.
Thank you. That is actually a really cool idea, and we are excited to show our kids and let them choose some of these for Koby. Mike and Shelley have been awesome and so supportive. We count on them for helping to lift us up!
--Steve
What a comforting message. We wish we could thank you for your support and taking the time to drop us a note.
Thanks Sara. Hopefully we will be back soon to watch Matt and the boys in their next race. Boston was so much fun :)
Thanks Kayleen. It always helps to have the right perspective. We feel the family love. Our trials definitely make us stronger.
It is humbling to think of that. Thank you. We went to the temple last night and it is so touching to think of this.
Thank you. The nice thing about being a parent is it is easy to love a child. We are thankful for your kind words.
Thank you. The nice thing about being a parent is it is easy to love a child. We are thankful for your kind words.
Post a Comment