Thursday, January 7, 2016

January 7th Update from Sharalee








Steve has done a great job with this blog.  I hope my making this post today doesn't break his stride.  I think I stopped blogging when I had enough little ones needing my attention during the days that I stopped accomplishing anything that required any intelligent thought.



Many of you have asked how I am doing.  Although Koby's labor and delivery was very fast and intense and for me ended in surgery to remove Koby's stubborn placenta (just like he must be for staying with us through his rough arrival), I really do feel very good.  I didn't need to take anything for pain after the 3rd day postpartum and trust me I am not out to prove anything, I just didn't need it. This must be a tender mercy that our Father in Heaven knew I needed so I could get running right away to be with Koby and then back home to be with our kids.  I felt all along during this pregnancy that I needed to prepare myself to be in good shape and energy so I could keep up with my five children and a newborn.  I know how much work newborns can be but I never envisioned anything happening like this.  I feel the weight of the delicate balance to be with Koby, and to keep the calm and continuity at home, strangely it's not too much to bear.  I know that is because I am getting so much support from family, friends, continuous prayers and blessings so thank you, thank you.  I know Steve and I couldn't do this on our own.  God hears and answers our prayers, this I know with a whole new surety.  I am more deeply grateful for the many blessings I've been given like each of my children, and now especially all the ones that are helping our family and Koby.  



The occupational therapist had a lot of good news for me today.  Koby is getting stronger.  You know how Doctors pull babies arms out and let go to see if they act startled? Koby's used to just flop back down, now they are starting to startle :).  He's getting better and turning his head toward things of interest, and he can hold it better.  His grip is also getting stronger.  They also decided to move him into a "big boy bed" instead of an isolette.  Now they will be able to see if he can hold his own temperature.  Koby must have been fascinated by his own surroundings because he was wide awake from 8:00am to 11:15am.  The occupational therapist told me she had to give him a mobile to look at because he was so alert.  It's pretty cool it has a noisemaker and it also plays classical music.  Koby had another very important appointment today with the speech pathologist, but he was so exhausted by his stimulating morning that he just couldn't be roused enough to do much.  We will try that again tomorrow.  I don't know about the doctors and nurses but I am so anxious to see him develop his suck/swallow/gag reflex so he can really begin to eat himself.  I hope I get to nurse him, but if I don't I am thankful pumping has worked out so well thus far. I usually hate pumping and find it uncomfortable.  That has not been this case, yet another tender mercy.



Koby did begin to struggle with his temperature which is typical when they first put an NICU baby in a regular crib.  To help him warm up and to promote bonding for he and I, we got to do some Kangarooing.  You can guess from the sound of it some skin to skin contact.





I have to say it felt so good to have him sleep so soundly on my chest that it brought me to tears.  Having that connection with him that last week I wasn't sure I'd ever get made me appreciate the moment so much.  The doctor says it's good for both parents to kangaroo so I hope Steve tries it soon :).



Another great thing that really relieves me is Koby is spontaneously swallowing more and more on his own.  Not only does this help strengthen his suck/swallow/gag reflex but it helps him not sound so congested.  I guess we all are continually moving saliva up from our lungs but we full term people know how to swallow, cough or clear out throats most of the time without even realizing it so it never bothers us.  Koby was struggling to maintain his oxygen saturation the last few days and it was simply because he wasn't swallowing or clearing those secretions from his throat.  Today they only had to suck his throat and nose out twice!  That was huge because yesterday it seemed to be needed every hour.

We have mentioned it before, but we have to thank our most angelic nurses and doctors. They have amazed us. Nurses and doctors that choose to work in the NICU are special people. They are loving and caring and have strengthened us. We love them! Today we were with Amanda. She created the signs in the window for our other kids over the weekend that said "Koby loves you." Here I am with her today. We can't wait to save the memories with the rest of the doctors and nurses that work so hard for these sick newborns.



One last note of the day: he's down to d10 (like sugar water) and a Med-line. That's it! Big progress from one week ago.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful Update!! We love you Sharalee. He's an adorable little fighter.

Brittany said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! I love this update so much and I am so happy to see little Koby snuggling on his Mommy! What an incredible gift. He seems to to be making such incredible progress each day. I love you guys SO much!

Amelia said...

So happy for you all. We will keep praying for Koby and your sweet family. Love from Alberta!!!

Catherine said...

We are thrilled with all of Koby's progress! Keep up on the pumping. I pumped for 3 months with Caroline until her heart surgery. Once she got through that--she nursed like a champ. With all the progress this little guy is making, he'll get to nursing. The sky is the limit.❤️❤️❤️

Kayleen Carter said...

Yet another HUGE step. That little Koby is chomping at the bit to get strong enough to go home. So many blessings taking place. Thanks for sharing each new bit of news.

Nancy said...

I just found your blog and read all the posts about Koby's birth. I don't even know where to start so let me just say that I bawled all the way through it and will continue to pray for your Koby and your family. Hugs to all.

Camille said...

I love this! I'm so glad you got to kangaroo. PS I know Amanda- she's very sweet.