Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Diagnosis and Optimism

Last Saturday we received a message from our Aunt Alecia. She said that her family has been praying that we would have peace when we found out more information regarding Koby's tests. Those prayers were again answered today as we found out more details about the MRI.

As was previously mentioned on our Saturday post, the damage to the brain occurred in the area that controls his body movement. It was helpful to actually see pictures of the MRI. There are basically small dark spots in areas; mostly around the area that sends the messages to your body to control movement in your arms and legs, among other things. I'm new to the neurology world, but basically dark dots are bad. They are tiny dots but they are in the place where messages are sent, kind of like the cords of a telephone sending the signals to the body to move.

The Neurologist went into greater detail about what this means, and what might be expected. He started off by saying that he had both good and bad news for us. The good news is that it could have been much worse. He told us that it is a miracle that he is doing as well as he is. He called him a "miracle baby". The cortex looks to be healthy. This controls his thinking and intellect. So this was encouraging to hear and see for ourselves.

The bad news was that, medically speaking, the damaged part of the brain means that he has some level of Cerebral Palsy. He pointed out that there are varying degrees of CP, and we don't quite know what level he has at this point. The doctor told us to not lose hope with this news, and that he has a great chance to have a very fulfilling life. We asked if he would be able to walk and talk and eat for himself. He said that based on what he sees he is very encouraged that Koby will eventually learn to walk and talk and eat. It just may take him a lot more effort to learn to do so, and the level at which he is able to do these things will depend on how well he responds to therapy, and our ability to help him learn.

He then also reiterated that he is telling us this based medically on what he sees from the pictures of his brain and based on how he is responding. HOWEVER, there are powers outside of medicine that will have a tremendous effect on Koby. We have already seen this in action with both big and little miracles. This was not discouraging news, and was something that both of us have been prepared to hear. I almost wanted to say out loud that we were aware we'd be told this, and Koby has already proven to beat the odds that modern wisdom would medically diagnose.

In the conference room we had a lot of support. As we left the conference room the three nurses that joined us for the conference were quick to point out the positives of the meeting. We feel good regardless of the diagnosis. It helps us understand a little bit better what type of fight we are getting ready for.

Sharalee and I then had a few minutes alone with Koby. He was sleeping peacefully. I asked Sharalee if we were ready to tell people what we just heard. Part of us just want to keep to ourselves sometimes. After finishing our conversation our inspired nurse Amanda turned on some music for Koby to listen to, as he was beginning to wake up. We chuckled when Bob Marley's song came on randomly. But as we listened to the words it took on significant meaning to us today. I stopped and recorded the song. Here's a short clip of Koby listening to the music.




YouTube Video






I have never quoted Bob Marley as the person to which we receive comfort and peace, but it actually brought some peace to us today. :)

"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright.
Singing' "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright!"

Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Saying', ("This is my message to you")

I left the hospital and went back to work, taking in everything we just heard. At about 4pm Sharalee sent me a text saying "You won't believed what happened today!" And she attached this video.




YouTube Video





It was a tender mercy, that he made the effort to suck just a little bit. We feel as if he was telling us "Don't give up on me! I am a fighter and I am determined to prove how strong I am! I am here to stay, so don't you dare think I won't beat this Mom and Dad!" We received his message loud and clear--that Koby knows how to overcome the odds and achieve great things in life. There are great things to come from this boy, so look out world because Koby Jay is here to stay.




8 comments:

Kayleen said...

I'm on team Koby! Go Koby, go Koby! He is just beginning to show all the miracles he has in store. Just love that little guy!

Merrill Van Leuven said...

Good job Koby - keep it up!

Trish said...

Love him. I could watch him for hours. Thank you for posting these videos. Go Koby!!!

The Schaefermeyer Family! said...

I don't know you but came across your story from a friend liking your post on fb. I am hooked on your little baby and pray for him daily. Koby is such a warrior and has an awesome army fighting along with him. My youngest brother suffered a stroke at 6 weeks old. He has issue with muscle control in the right side of his body. We were told he would never be able to walk or ride a bike. My brother kicked that to the curb. He walks, rides a bike ( and did for two years on his mission) and enjoys snowboarding! Doctors only gave you information and facts of what his brain looks like on an image. I have no doubt he will surpass the doctors expectations again. It may take time and therapy but he will do it. All with the help of his army! Love of love from a stranger.

Damaris said...

Thanks for sharing your story. We are keeping Koby and your family in our prayers. It makes me so happy to read posts of his progress. I wanted you to know that we're praying for you and cheering you on every step of the way!

Amy said...

I have been reading Cody's updates every day and am blessed on a daily basis hearing about the miracles God is performing in and around your family. My husband's cousin is Miche. I was introduced to Koby when Lydia first posted about his birth. Know that Koby and your family are in my prayers daily. What a Mighty God we serve!
Amy Montoya
Yuba City, CA

Unknown said...

Thank you for your kind words. It's always encouraging to hear this. Your brother must be a strong character like our little Koby.

Unknown said...

Amy Thank you. Lydia and Miche have been big supporters, getting family and friends to pray. Your faith is strengthening Koby! It means a great deal to us!

Steve and Sharalee.