Wednesday, January 13, 2016

January 12th Update Two Weeks Old!

You can tell Mama Sharon is gone we can't even get our posts done on time!!!






Today I went to the hospital feeling anxious because he still hasn't mastered the suck/swallow/gag reflex. While speaking with one of Koby's nurse practitioners on Monday she said they were in a watch and see pattern again. He's done so well with all the progress he's made so far and they're just waiting to see if he can develop that suck/swallow/gag reflex by the two week mark of when he was warmed up. I thought it was two weeks from birth which would have been today! That is the time that babies in his circumstance usually develop all that they're going to develop without a lot of time, therapy, and practice.

Look closely Amanda just about gets him to crack a smile!


YouTube Video



Amanda (one of Koby's primary nurses) reassured me that Koby could still go home soon if that's all they were waiting for with him but it would be with a surgically placed "G" tube. If they go that route he has to have surgery, let that heal and stabilized before he can finally come home. She also reassured me she's so proud of Koby for coming this far. Amanda was there the night Koby came. Seeing the condition he was in when he first came to now she's so impressed with where he is. She also let me know that of all the things to come home with this was the easiest one to deal with. Think of a ventilator or IV that would have to be moved around every few days. I don't want to be greedy in asking for one more miracle but my motherly instincts just want so badly for him to catch on to eating for himself!!! I want that for him and I'm going to continue to pray fervently for him in these next few days to figure that out. If he isn't able to, I do feel better about the alternative.






Adjusting to not having my mom and needing some rest, Steve and I knew we couldn't plan to be with Koby tonight. My sister, not knowing that, asked if she could go up and hold Koby since she's on the approved list. I was so thankful that she was willing to do that. She found out since she was there at weighing time Koby made it to 6 pounds! Just yesterday he was 5 pounds 11 ounces.






She also heard him cry and was able to catch the tale end of it on video for us to hear. It sounds crazy to celebrate the the fact that your baby can cry but this is huge! The nurses have said for a few days now they've heard him cry especially when he's having his temperature taken or his diaper changed. I've done both of those things for him many times now and he's never cried for me. Crying shows somethings bothering him, it also shows his lung capacity. He's building his stamina. This is progress!


YouTube Video


Way to go Koby :) I am so proud of you for fighting and working so hard. You will be home and able to meet your siblings soon and we all can't wait. I know I can't begin to imagine how hard and exhausting this all must be but thank you for working and trying so hard.


4 comments:

Kayleen said...

Go Koby!!!

Mindy said...

Thank you for posting all of these updates! Each of our kids pray for Koby everyday - we love him already!

Brittany said...

Oh my goodness! Hearing Koby's cry made me cry with joy! What a sweet, sweet sound followed up by Tasha's soft, gentle voice. This little boy is loved by so many! We will be praying for him to develop that suck and swallow reflex for sure. Love you sis!

Kristen said...

I remember the feeling of being pulled so many directions while Austin was in the hospital and wanting so badly to be with my whole family all at once. Should you ever need anyone to sit and hold Koby, give me a call. It may be therapeutic for me as well. Praying for continued progress and sending our love!