Sunday, January 3, 2016

January 3, 2016

Its about 4pm on Sunday. We attended our Church sacrament meeting and then made our way to the hospital. Koby had a pretty good night. His breathing ability reminds me a lot of my dancing ability: Completely out of rhythm, as if you are dancing to a slow love song but the music is actually a super fast techno tune. And you don't realize it and everyone else can tell. I remember going to dances and trying to hear the beat and even though I heard it, I didn't know how to get my body to synchronize. So I guess his breathing rhythm comes from me, darn it!

We both got to hold him for about an hour. We loved every moment of this, of course. Holding him, other than seeing all of the tubes and cords and beeps of the machines, you wouldn't think much is wrong with him. He doesn't cry but he occasionally opens his eyes and moves around. I closed my eyes while I was holding him and imagined as if there was nothing wrong with him, like he was just resting at home with us. It felt normal until the stupid machine started beeping because his heart rate was too high. It beeps whenever it goes over 200 beeps per minute. His rate is all over the place.

Tonight they are going to put the EEG cap back on him and monitor his brain activity for 24 hours. This may help give us a better idea of what parts of his brain might function and what won't function. But we won't know a ton right away. They need time to compare what his brain activity was like after a few days, then after a week, then after a few weeks. We won't be able to hold him or do much with him tomorrow.

We continue to feel such power with all of the prayers. Today has been especially powerful for us to feel this. It's an amazing experience that I probably can't describe adequately, but we can LITERALLY feel when people are praying for us. We've had times where we could sense immediate family was praying. I've also literally felt prayers from Sharalee's little cousin Ethan in Utah, or my cousin Lydia in Texas; like we could tell the prayers were happening at that very moment and they were being heard! I've also sensed when casual acquaintances were praying for us, or even strangers. It's been a tender mercy that God has granted us, seeing into His eyes a little bit. Kind of a small glimpse into heaven, and a better understanding of how things work up above. We are thankful for this powerful lesson as I was unaware of this reality before this experience.

Here's our little champ today. As I look at these pictures I look exhausted. And I look like I've aged a lot this week. It's also clear from these angles that may hair ain't growing back !









Sharalee also got to change his diaper for the first time. We've never been so excited to see urine! Sharalee's dad Howie texted us that he's jealous and wants a chance to change his diaper. I told him that we will save some opportunities up for him when he is home, since this boy is gonna come home someday.




We got home from the hospital and had this message waiting by the door. So tender.




We love you all.

Keep fighting Koby!!

0 comments: