Sunday, April 13, 2008

Kaylie! Don't pick it, that's our only one!


A year ago last January I planted over a hundred bulbs of tulips and daffodils hoping to have beautiful beds just bursting with them. Well last year we had some crazy weather that really took its toll on my yard especially all these flowers I've been waiting so patiently to be enjoying. Okay so I am pretty haphazard at my gardening. I go by what other people have told me and what I think sounds and looks good. I've never really read a book, some day I should. When we bought our first house Steve told me he'd take care of the lawn but it was up to me to do any of the feminine stuff like flowers and vegetable gardens. He said since my mom was so good at it, I should have learned from her what to do. I just knew what weeds were and how to pull them, but I didn't tell him that. But I did remind him that it was my Dad who did the vegetable garden, but that I helped him a lot so I knew what to do. I let him think I was the expert my mom was. Well I think my true skills are now being revealed! So after the late frost that killed anything that wasn't as hardy as a pioneer, and the drought that seemed to cause a second spring, I only have one daffodil that came up with a bud on it. No joke my tulips and daffodils came up twice last summer. I did plant them a little late, but at the end of the summer many plants in our yard got buds like it was spring again and my tulip and daffodil greens came up too. This year I had plenty of greens pop up that never flowered but this is my one and only daffodil. I did have one or two tulips pop up with a flower but they're already laying down and looking so sad I couldn't bare to take a picture.

1 comments:

Katie said...

Kaylie's chubby little legs are the cutest things I've ever seen! Oh, and the flower is pretty, too!