Friday, March 12, 2010
Our Extra Special November
I took the time to explain almost every picture in this slideshow and I think if you click and go to the actual slideshow you can go read those descriptions, if you're interested of course.
With the economy not showing any signs of hope this trip to Utah was a bit of a sacrifice. But it was TOTALLY worth it. In order to get affordable tickets we have to go for nearly two weeks. Kinzy missed a lot of school, but once again it was so worth it. I love every minute of this trip getting to see all of family, friends, and loved ones. I probably gained more weight on this trip than I did on our cruise a couple years ago. Not only was this trip all about seeing our family, it was all about lots of good food. Homemade food, favorite restaurant food, I guess family and food are the essentials in my life.
The main reason for going out to Utah at this time was to see my sister one last time before she went on her mission, and get the temple work done for my sister Whitney, who passed away almost three years ago. We were able to help Cammie with different preparations for her mission which endeared me so much more to the situation. It sunk in and really started to feel real that she was leaving. The other great event I was able to attend was Cammie taking out her endowments in the temple. She was very prepared and ready for this experience. It was like we were in Heaven for a few days totally filled with the spirit and joyful beyond expression.
I will never forget the experience we had while Cammie did Whitney's work in the Bountiful temple. Once again the reality of it didn't sink in for me until we were sitting in the chapel waiting for the session to start and Cammie showed me the pink slip with Whitney's name on it. We were, as usual, running a little late, which made me nervous and stressed. I dressed as fast as I could and swiftly walked to the chapel. I was surprised to find Steve's Mission President's wife, Sister Bradford, as one of the workers on that session, infact she was leading the session. I beat Steve to the chapel (another surprise, aren't men supposed to dress faster than women? They have less to put on). So, I decided to go see if she remembered us. I met her several times before but it had been awhile. As soon as I told her who I was she lit up and was so happy to see us. My mom had already explained to her what was going on with doing my sister's work so she was all the more understanding and sweet to us. Steve's mission President is now a sealer and was about to do some sealings but we were able to breifly say hello to him. Sister Bradford asked us to be the witness couple, which to me was an honor. Steve's brother Jonny & his wife Michelle were the witness couple when I took my endownments out and that was very special to me. I felt honored to do that for Whitney. The spirit was so strong the entire time and we truly felt a closeness to Whitney that day. After that spiritually filling experience we went to Whitney's favorite place (and one of mine too) Cafe Rio. Like I said it felt like Heaven.
Cammie did a wonderful job with her Farewell talk. I couldn't stop thinking about how prepared and ready Cammie was and how well she would do because of that. Her strength and determination were inspiring to me. So many times in my life lately I burn myself out trying to do it well and as perfect as I can, then I just want to give up as soon as I have any opposition. I think I used to be more eager and positive, I have let life wear me down a little too much.
Our good family friends the Davis' came over to help us get the turkey's ready for Thanksgiving dinner. That was a fun three hour experience. I never knew how involved preparing a turkey could be. We jamaican jerked one, then made they other one savory. Sharon Davis is from Jamaica and usually they jerk chickens of course, but my parents convinced her to jerk a turkey one year and now they've done it ever since. It is so good, and totally worth the three hours it takes to do it.
Another great thing was getting to spend the day with Brittany Hunsaker on her birthday. We made cards that I brought from a workshop I did before I went to Utah. Then we ate lunch at Zupa's and got the fondue for dessert which was to die for. I hope to have that again someday. We had fun catching up on each other's lives and just enjoying the day.
I am so grateful we were able to take this trip, it will be one we remember.
Posted by Unknown at 3/12/2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Sharalee- I love the pic's of the kids. I can't believe how much Kenzie has grown. Such a little lady!!!
We love Cammie's letters and feel very blessed to be included with the family. Tell your Mom to keep them coming. We can feel the spirit in all that she does. She was born to be a Missionary.
We are so excited to hear about Whitney's work getting done and for you to be out there for Cammie. We again have been blessed to have known Whitney. Everytime I see pink I think of her.
Love to all and don't wait months to post again.
Post a Comment