Sunday, May 17, 2009

Marathon Club


So this running idea started about 5 years ago. We heard it was fun to train for races so we gave it a try, starting to train for a full marathon in 2004. After two weeks Sharalee and I realized training for a full marathon was impossible and pure torture. I nearly passed out running 3 miles! So that year and every year since we ran the Country Music Half Marathon together.
Last August I was close to turning 30 and needed a challenge. So I committed to running a full marathon in Memphis in December. I ran the race by myself, with only Sharalee there to cheer me on. I said to myself during the race that I'd never do it again, but as soon as I crossed the finish line I knew this wouldn't be the last time doing a full.

Sharalee was ready to run again after Kyle was born and trained to run the full this April. Cammie and Kelsey committed to train too. Knowing how competitive Sharon (Sharalee's mom) is, she trained for the full marathon in her own way. She ran each training run faithfully but kept saying we was too old to complete the actual race. She finally decided to run the full the day before the race, and SHE DID IT! I had to put on the full court press to convince her that ahe was ready to do it.

After 26.2 miles in miserably hot weather we all completed the race. We all ran slower than we had hoped but we finished, which is really all that matters. My brother Dave did the full as well, even with very little training. I ran the first 14 miles with Cammie and Kelsey. Sharalee ran with Sharon.

It's amazing how many lessons you learn when pushing yourself as hard as you can. We learned that running a marathon has little to do with actually running. If you give yourself enough time almost anyone can last 26 miles. The challenge is getting up at 5am every Saturday morning to run your 14 or 16 or 21 mile training run. It's running a 10 miler in the pouring rain. It's doing sprints at 10pm when all you want to do is go to sleep. If being a Marathoner was about running I'd never do it again, because truthfully I absolutely hate running! But there is NOTHING like crossing the finish line after putting in hundreds of miles on the pavement and treadmill to prepare.

Well done to my sweet wife, mom in law Sharon, brother Dave, Sis in laws Cammie and Kelsey, and friends David, Danielle, and Chris for completing the full marathon! Also great job to Howie, Emily, Tasha, David, Joel, Cathy, Janae, Aubrey, Jared, Allison, Julia, Jordan, Jake, Stacey, Lane, Shawna, Trish, Tyler, Ashley, Trevor, Chantelle and all of our other friends for completing the Half Marathon. That is also an amazing accomplishment that takes so much preparation and hard work. Running a half marathon takes just as much determination and is an incredible feeling.

The one crappy part of the day was realizing that I didn't beat my December time. I thought I beat my time by 38 seconds, but according to the official time I was slower this time around by only 1 SECOND PER MILE!! I've already committed to do the full again so I can beat my time.



If you are wondering what our finish time was don't bother asking UNLESS you have run a full marathon yourself. Otherwise all you need to know is that we are part of the Marathon Club and you aren't. :)

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Steve, I love your blog report! Very excellent!! You are very inspiring to me! Of course, you are the only one who could convince me to do it. Thank YOU!

Dani said...

WELL WRITTEN, STEVE! :) Yay for our club!!!

Cathrine said...

You guys seriously amaze me! I am in awe of all the marathons. Way to go!

Brittany said...

You guys are my favorite people...in the world. We can't wait to see you! Great job you guys!

Spudbiz said...

Congratulations to all of you!! It take real committment and hard work and you succeeded!! I'm proud of all of you!!

Brenda said...

You guys are all so dang awesome. And I love all the pics of your kids. Such a cute family!!

Ladybug143 said...

Wow! It has been a long time. How are you? Looks like life is treating you well. I am not sure you remember me, Karen Ludwig, I am Carissa's sister. I will pass your blog info onto her.